History of Our Parish
- Bishop Paul Tanner assigned Fr. John O'Flaherty to build a Catholic Parish west of the San Sebastian River.
- The first masses were held in the flower shop of Mr. & Mrs. Carcaba. A larger facility was soon needed.
- Mr. John Shugart volunteered the use of his Palmer Street warehouse.
- The parish was moved to Palmer Street after the building was renovated into a beautiful church seating 256.
- With the future already in mind, an additional 5.5 acres of land were purchased along State Road 16.
- Construction on the future church began, providing seating for 340 with additional seating in the social hall for 200.
- On September 30, 1973 the new San Sebastian Church was officially dedicated in a mass celebrated by Bishop Paul Tanner.
- Fr. O'Flaherty announced plans to build a new Rectory within five years.
- Three additional lots were purchased on Glimpse of Glory Road bringing the total property to 14.5 acres.
- A small garage was built behind the church for storage.
- A platform was added to the sanctuary area for the presidential chair and altar servers' chairs.
- Fr. Doug Reed purchased a double-wide mobile home to serve as a Rectory/Friary until a home could be built.
- The ground-breaking ceremony for the new Rectory was held.
- The new Rectory was dedicated on the 10th anniversary of the dedication of the Church.
- Area growth leads to need to enlarge the church.
- Committees were formed and an architect, Sr. Barbara Cekosh, was contracted to draw up plans.
- In March the parish joined together for a "Kick-Off Dinner" for our "Continuing the Vision" New Church Building Campaign.
- The ground-breaking ceremony for the new Church was held on August 27, 2005.
- September 15, 2007 the dedication of our new church was celebrated with Bishop Victor Galeone presiding.
- December 2, 2007 the San Sebastian Carillon Gift Shop opened.
- February 9, 2008 the San Sebastian Parish Library opened.
- October 15, 2010 Fr. John D. Gillespie took over as pastor for retiring Fr. Thomas P. Walsh.
- Kicked Off 2nd phase of the Capital Campaign for the Religious Education Enrichment Center.
- August 19, 2017 Ground Breaking for our Religious Education Enrichment Center